Friday, July 08, 2005

Issie's strawberry tart - by way of gill dupleix

I know I said I was going to do a recipe a week, but let's face it, there's no way I'm going to be able to stick to that. There'll be some uninspiring weeks and then there'll be good weeks where the good food is just bursting out waiting for a cook and an appetite! Anyway my great friend Issie cooked this recipe last week and, once again, it is one I distrusted initially. I detest tiramisu and am still not won over by the concept of sponge fingers. But Issie tells me to go for it and that I will be converted. She's a marvellous and adventurous cook so I print the recipe below. It is originally Gill Dupleix's (Times cookery writer) but Izz has tinkered with it and I've incorporated her tinkering. So let me know which one of you is brave enough? I'm going to try this week (end?)..

STRAWBERRY MASCARPONE

Prep: 20 min plus chilling
Serves 4 to 6

1 kg strawberries, hulled and at room temperature
500 g raspberries, chilled
6 eggs, separated
200g caster sugar
1 kg mascarpone
400ml sweet dessert wine
200g savoiardi (I suspect Izz of trying to win me round on the sponge fingers by offering an Italian improvement)

METHOD

Halve or quarter 3/4 of the strawberries and toss with 3/4 of the raspberries. Beat the 6 egg yolks and caster sugar together until smooth, then whisk in the mascarpone. Beat the 6 egg whites in a separate bowl until peaky, then fold the whites through the mascarpone cream. Dip each biscuit in the wine just long enough to coat it and arrange a layer of wine-soaked biscuits like spokes in a wheel on the base of a large but not deep serving dish. Cover with a layer of cream, and a layer of berries, making sure they're mixed (gently) so that you get a mouthful of everything. Repeat each layer, finishing with the whole berries that you haven't chopped up. Leave for 3 to 4 hours. Dust with icing sugar and serve the same day.

TIP Izz also recommends adding redcurrants and blueberries to the mix - I doubt you can go wrong there.

1 comment:

Petraruns said...

I have now eaten this - and it is wonderful. Particularly the filling - it's sort of like a zabaglione, creamy, sweet, delicious - with the fruit dotted in. Absolutely well worth making! Thank you Isabel - for suggesting it and for making it!